Monday, September 17, 2018

D'Corazon Restaurant in Denver, Colorado

Green Chile Plate

On my last trip to Denver, I somehow got so fixated with trying to get wild game that I completely overlooked a quintessentially local dish: Colorado green chile. So I did a quick search and this place came up (1530 Blake Street #C, 720-904-8226). Fortunately, it was walkable from the hotel.

This green chile plate was awesome, perhaps in part because it was nothing like I was expecting. Instead of being sour and thin, this was gravy-like thick. And perhaps more importantly, it was (presumably pork fat-fueled) rich, giving it a delightfully smooth and well rounded taste. And that's all with the bonus of a little heat too (OK, it wasn't that spicy, but there were local green chili peppers underneath that orange-brown stuff). The pork it coated was tender, making me clear the plate with ease.

Incidentally, this weekend is the 24th Annual Pueblo Chile and Frijoles Festival, about two hours south of here. I was considering going, but ultimately decided against it due to lack of time. I'm beginning to regret that now that I know what this stuff is supposed to taste like.

No comments: