Monday, June 04, 2018

Liu Shandong Beef Noodles in Taipei, Taiwan

Chingzhen Beef Noodles

Not to be confused with Lau Shan Dong from last night, Liu Shandong (2 Kaifeng Street Lane 14 Section 1, 2311-3581) is another Michelin Bib Gourmand noodle shop. It closes pretty early in the evenings, so I've never had the chance to go. But the flip side is that they are open for breakfast, and today is the only day this week where I'll get a chance to go before meetings start.

It was awesome. One sip of the chingzhen broth on its own and it was all over: these guys take the cake. The broth nailed both the taste of the beef as well as the complex - but not dominant - spices swirling underneath. Plus, the choice cuts of beef were some of the most tender and tasty that I've had in one of these bowls. It reminded me a bit of the Korean beef that Hadongkwan uses.

That said, I didn't like the udon-shaped noodles. Sure, the texture was nice and firm, but if I only I could get last night's wide noodles in this morning's bowl, then I'd be all set. Note to self: next time, don't squeeze chili oil in the chingzhen bowl or else you'll just cover up that wonderful broth. Also, give the other red version a try too.

No comments: