Sunday, October 01, 2017

Macpherson Minced Meat Noodle in Singapore

Bak Chor Mee

I don't remember how I found out about this place (1 Opal Crescent), but it made for a convenient stop for breakfast this morning. And yes, I liked his crackling-topped noodles, but it just wasn't as punchy as Tai Wah without those bits of dried fish or those stanky meatballs that I love so much. Still, it was an above-average bowl and was definitely better than a lot of the stuff you would usually find in food courts.

Perhaps the more interesting thing was what looked like a basket of mini baguettes that I saw a lot of people ordering from. It was only when I saw her slicing them up did I realize that they were either fried tofu or fish cakes. It was the latter, and was firm and generous, but nothing super exciting either, so I'm not sure why everyone seemed to be getting it.

It's only now that I've read up on this place did I realize that one is supposed to get the soup version instead (or maybe the "mini wok" version so as to get the best of both worlds). Actually, the little bowl of broth that they gave wasn't that exciting either, in part simply since they didn't spike it with much white pepper. Everything was pretty mild, to be honest, and I'm not sure if I'd wait in line for that again.

No comments: