Friday, September 08, 2017

Japan's Yakiniku Don-Don in Singapore

Negitan

This yakiniku shop from Japan has opened up in Singapore (90 Tanjong Pagar Road, 6221-0841) featuring counter-top charcoal grills. The first thing on the menu was that gyutan above, which I gobbled down along with their signature salad and a beef soup.

Actually, they specialize in offal here, so I went for a plate of marucho, or cow's small intestine (the menu amusingly called it "fat wrapped in bowel"). It sounded horrible, but the fat was precisely what made it so tasty. Other items on their horumon menu included uterus, tracheal rings, throat cartilage, and "parts around ears."

It's too bad then that their karubi was disappointingly tough. Moreover, they tended to marinate things slightly on the sweet side. It wasn't as off-putting as Gyu-Kaku, but admittedly I don't know how frequently I'd come back either, especially given the rather high bill that I racked up tonight.

No comments: