Sunday, August 27, 2017

Kew Garden Restaurant on Outram Road in Singapore

Abacus Seeds and Pork Stomach Soup

The rather industrial-looking Tan Boon Liat Building has been around for ages and it shows. I've always been kinda curious about that old Chinese restaurant sitting in that round island-like building in the middle of the parking lot though (315 Outram Road, 6222-2313). Today, I happened to be walking by and needed some food, so I figured why not go in and check it out?

It turned out to be Hakka food. I basically know nothing about this cuisine, so I asked for some recommendations and ended up with the first thing on the menu: these so-called abacus seeds. Presumably they are named after the flat round shape, but they were made out of yam or something, making them chewy like gnocchi. And they were covered in oil, shallots, and minced meat, making it rather tasty.

She also recommended a pork stomach soup, which was surprisingly peppery (think: bak kut teh without the garlic). A sour red chili sauce went well with the strips of surprisingly tender and odorless pork stomach inside too. I don't know how authentic any of this is, and it won't be anything that I'll be getting cravings for either. But I am kind of curious to explore other things on the menu.

No comments: