Monday, July 03, 2017

Restoran Al Fyhaa in Bandar Sunway, Malaysia

Clockwise from bottom: muhammara, fattoush, and fatah with lamb

I was walking down the small streets of Sunway when I noticed this shop selling Syrian food (5 Jalan PJS 11/28, 03-5613-5531). My experience with Syrian food has been extremely limited, so I figured what better chance it was then to give it a shot. Of course, I also had no idea what to order, and the wait staff wasn't very helpful with his dictation of the menu. I thus looked online for some classic staples of Syrian cuisine.

The red item at the bottom is muhammara, a hot pepper dip from Aleppo, but it wasn't really spicy at all, and instead was rather sour. On the right was fatah, a surprisingly smooth concoction of rice, lamb, cuts of flatbread, and some sort of yogurt and tahini mixture, I believe. And the one on the left was a related item called fattoush, featuring toasted cuts of pita bread weaved into that simple salad. That hit the spot for me!

No comments: