Wednesday, May 04, 2016

St. Lawrence Market in Toronto, Canada

Olives

The first time I was in Toronto I couldn't make it to St. Lawrence Market because it's closed on Sundays and Mondays. Today however, my hotel was just a five-minute walk from the place. So after dropping off my bags, it was a no-brainer on where I was going for lunch (92 Front Street East, 416-392-7219).

Peameal Bacon Sandwich

The first thing that I had to get of course was Toronto's peameal bacon sandwich. When I first bit into it, it didn't seem anything in that interesting and frankly was rather dry. It was only halfway through the sandwich did the thought occur to me: were all of those squeeze bottles that I saw on the counter at Carousel Bakery for the sandwich? I threw in some dijon mustard, horseradish, and pickled peppers, and suddenly the thing totally lit up! It was now delicious and fun to eat.

Cabbage roll, pierogi, and some kind of meat roll

I still needed a bit more food though, and there seemed to be lots of Ukrainian vendors around the market. I grabbed some pierogi dumplings, some cabbage rolls, and some kind of meat roll things that I don't know the name of. It all pretty much tasted like it looked except those meat rolls or other salty and tough. I didn't mind it though; I don't think I've ever had Ukrainian food before.

No comments: