Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hup Lee Cafeteria/Eatery at The Arcade

Mixed Fish Bee Hoon

A few folks in the office have mentioned this place in passing recently (11 Collyer Quay #01-35), as huge lines form for their fish soup at lunch time during the week. I asked what made their fish soup so special, and I only got a few vague responses about thick cuts of fish, some pickled vegetables, and maybe some fried garlic. I thus came by today to see for myself.

Even when I got here at 2 PM, there was enough of a line that I had to wait about 15 minutes. And yes, the slices of fish were pretty generous and fresh, but perhaps more importantly, I realized that it was the *fried* fish in particular that was pretty good, as they didn't overbatter it nor make it too greasy, and yet it still held up in the soup.

The pickled vegetables, on the other hand, didn't add much to the taste (and the chili sauce, while spicy, was also a tad sweet). In that sense, I still prefer Hock Heng over this place by far. I won't make an effort to come back here as a result, but if I do, maybe I'll ask them to try adding milk.

No comments: