Sunday, May 03, 2015

Exploring Phuket's Banzaan Fresh Market

Banzaan Fresh Market

We've been in a pretty isolated villa here in Phuket for the past few days, where most meals have been provided on-site. But this afternoon we had a minute to have a car take us down to Patong Beach. There wasn't much time, but just enough that I could go explore one of the wet markets nearby. At first it just seemed like your usual local wet market, complete with fishmongers, butchers, vegetable dealers, and some dry goods.

Stir Fried Crap

But then I went upstairs to the food area where I realized that none of the vendors there actually had any food. You had to go downstairs to buy your seafood first, after which they would cook it, kinda like Noryangjin Market in Seoul. The thought of some "stir fried crap" sounded pretty good. Or actually, I went for clams. Two different types of clams, to be more precise. One fishmonger had clams that were still actively squirting water, so it seemed fresh enough.

Mini Razor Clams

I'm not sure of the name of the first type of clam that I had, but it was basically a bit like a Manila clam, which the lady made into a soup. The broth was disappointingly sweet due to the carrots and onions that she put in there, but the clams were fresh at least. Perhaps better were these little razor clams that she stir-fried instead. It was still a tad sweet - I believe due to sugar - but at least it went well with the onions and beer. Just the afternoon snack that I needed.

No comments: