Tuesday, August 26, 2014

I Finally Found Chả cá Lã Vọng Sitting in Oil!

Chả cá Lã Vọng

Ahhhh...after so many failed attempts, I finally found a shop that does chả cá Lã Vọng closer to the way it is supposed to be done. Namely, they put it in a pan of bubbling hot oil, complete with a huuuge pile of fresh green herbs to dunk into it, along with rice noodles and peanuts. Yaayyyy!!!

And to think that this was a totally random stop. I just happened to be walking around the 100AM mall when I glanced at the menu of the fittingly named Hanoi Vietnamese Restaurant (100 Tras Street #03-13, 6444-4406). Was that chả cá Lã Vọng that I just saw?? Holy crap - it was!! I knew exactly what I was going to have for lunch.

To be sure, honestly this didn't taste that different from the renditions without oil, and it just didn't have that delightful punch of excitement like the real thing does (I suspect that they used a different kind of oil?). But at least the concept was the closest that I've found, short of making a trip to the city of Hanoi itself.

No comments: