Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Bowl of Porridge on Temple Street in HK

Porridge

I needed a bit more food before going to bed tonight, so I asked the hotel if there were some cheap local food that I could get nearby, and he pointed me to the Temple Street Night Market up here in Kowloon. It took me a while to make sense of the place given the barrage of foot massage places and "spicy crab" restaurants (it wasn't clear to me if it was typhoon shelter crab or not).

Anyway, I just wanted something small, so I got this bowl of porridge for a whopping HK$17 (US$2). Despite how hot it was, I finished this thing in a jiffy, as I just loved how the Cantonese pulverize the rice into a savory goop (and the roll of toilet paper on the table is always good for a chuckle). Too bad the fish wasn't very fresh though.

No comments: