Sunday, March 10, 2013

Crif Dogs in NYC's East Village

The Crif Dog with Jalapenos and Sauteed Onions

Finally - a local place that wasn't overrun with tourists (113 St Marks Pl #2, 212-614-2728). I came here in part because I was still hungry after Katz's Deli (that was only a half-sandwich that I got), but also because it was walkable and saved me a trip out to New Jersey in the process.

See, New Jersey is known for "rippers," or hot dogs that have been deep fried and that rip open in the process. These guys did the same thing, but they also paired them with some pretty funky ingredients while they were at it. I created my own version with cream cheese, jalapenos, and sauteed onions. Pair them with that crispy skin yet juicy interior, and this thing went down in the blink of an eye. This wasn't your typical New York City hot dog.

And oh yes, that is a PBR in the background, which I don't think I've had since college. As much as it may have been the butt of a lot of jokes back then, there was something so refreshingly fun and refreshing about drinking it tonight. It must have been the cramped college party-like atmosphere inside this place late at night.

No comments: