Sunday, September 16, 2012

Southern California's Umami Burger

Earth Burger

Wow - that was probably one of the best meals of this trip thus far. Umami Burger has spread to multiple locations across Southern California, and we made sure to stop by one for lunch today. On the advice of a foursquare tip, I didn't even get the namesake burger here, but rather the veggie burger above, whose patty was made from mushrooms and edamame.

It may not sound very appetizing, but it was delicious. The meat versions of the burgers were nice and moist too. Perhaps the biggest surprise was the range of sauces, including the ketchup, which seemed to have mushrooms or something blended into it to give it that umami taste. I normally don't dip my fries into ketchup, but here I just couldn't stop.

Keep in mind though that this was sit-down table service, complete with a great list of craft beers on tap. If I had wanted fast food, then In-N-Out would suit me just fine. And for a more classic taste, I'll still go to Jeffrey's or Burger Joint. But this place is in a league of its own.

No comments: