Thursday, December 01, 2011

Ácenar HotMex CoolBar in San Antonio

Lomo de Puerco

Downtown San Antonio was much more touristy than I thought it would be: filled with plasticky-looking restaurants along the Riverwalk, including a top-rated Zagat establishment that we went to last night but turned out to be somewhere that I'd prefer to forget. So I wasn't getting my hopes up about this place either (146 East Houston Street, 222-2362), especially since they were serving upscale Tex-Mex rather than proper Mexican.

Then again, this was Texas after all, so Tex-Mex technically would be more local. And I ended up really liking the food, be it the spicy little starters and tortilla soup or the grilled adobo pork loin above, whose delightfully smoky meat surrounded what looked like turkey stuffing inside but turned out to be cuts of spinach tamale instead. I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can get around here, especially after getting a car to make my way out of the tourist district.

No comments: