Thursday, May 13, 2010

Torchy's Tacos, South Austin Trailer Park

Green Chili Pork Taco and Mexican Coke

This place f*ckin rocks (1311 South 1st Street, 512-366-0537). Normally I shun Tex-Mex in favor of proper Mexican food, but one could argue that this isn't really Tex-Mex either. It's something so uniquely good on its own that I just can't stop thinking about it. Why? Well, as they put it, they have "Damn Good" tacos.

This little stand just blew me away with how delicious their tacos were, particularly the so-called Democrat, which featured a shredded beef barbacoa that was so tender, rich, and even sophistically-seasoned that it disappeared into my mouth in no time. The Fried Avocado Taco, while tasting less unique than it sounded, nonetheless still went down in seconds. My least favorite? The Green Chili Pork Taco...not because there was anything wrong with the taste, but just because it was the most traditional of the ones I tried, relatively speaking that is.

This has instantly become a must-visit for me next time I'm in Austin. Note the Mexican Coke that was available here, something that is prized north of the border because the bottlers in Mexico still use real sugar rather than the American corn syrup-based version. It seemed a bit smoother, but honestly I really couldn't taste that much of a difference.

1 comment:

megan said...

I'm headed to Austin for a month this summer, and will be going here immediately! Thanks for the tip!