Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Frontera Fresco, Macy's Union Square, SF

Queso Fundido Huarache

Naturally one usually associates Rick Bayless with his hometown of Chicago. But it was only recently that I realized that he has a Frontera outpost way out here in San Francisco at the basement of Macy's Union Square (170 O’Farrell Street, 415-296-4364). It was a perfect location to grab lunch today given that it was right next to my next meeting in the afternoon.

I grabbed this huarache, or a Mexican flatbread topped with beans, cheese, and in my case, chorizo. Trying to relate it to a pizza wouldn't be right though, since the flatbread was much heavier, unlike that Lebanese manakeesh from the other day. It was more like "(American) Indian Fry Bread," which makes sense considering Mexico's history.

Either way, the toppings were tasty and enjoyable, just as my experience with his other food has been. I'm looking forward to trying other things on the menu here...or maybe next time I'm passing through O'Hare.

No comments: