Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin, Ion Orchard

Rosu Katsu Teishoku

Singapore's much hyped Ion Orchard mall finally opened today, and we had a minute in the afternoon to take a look around before the crowds piled in after work. There were a surprising number of Japanese shops downstairs - including a standalone outlet of Aoba Ramen that hopefully will be better than that one out at Manpuku in Tampines. But the one that caught our attention today was Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin (2 Orchard Turn #B4-39, 6509-8101), which - as the name suggests - is a tonkatsu shop originally from the Ginza district of Tokyo.

Yes, another shop from Japan has set up shop in Singapore. I grabbed some standard issue rosu, which was a bit soggy in the middle and a bit thick on the edges. But it was still tasty and of decent quality, and the thin slices of pork we found in the miso soup was a nice touch. It was interesting to see breaded unagi available too, even if that turned out a bit too greasy for my liking.

Apparently these guys were the creators of the katsu sando, although I was puzzled as I couldn't find it anywhere on the menu. Only after we left the restaurant did I notice they were selling little boxed sandwiches at the takeout counter outside. Well, I definitely want to give some of the other places in this mall a try. But I'll need to remember to avoid peak hours (particularly weekends) since I'm sure that this mall is going to be frustratingly packed for a while.

2 comments:

ididitthisway said...

my oh my that was quick! i shldve gone to chk the mall out during my lunch hour before the crowds packed in after work. i shldve!

finally popped in at 8ish to grab some yummies from provence (!!!) and yea! the after work crowd got in alright. =|

Anonymous said...

Still have to wait for Maisen to open up a Singapore outlet!