Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Counter: Custom Built Burgers

My Creation: a 1/3 pound beef burger cooked medium served on a bed of lettuce blend with Tillamook cheddar, grilled onions, roasted chiles, sprouts, and tomatoes, all on a hamburger bun with horseradish mayo on the side

Here's small chain of burger stores popped up in the area a few years ago. It featured a long checklist-based ordering form that allowed one to "customize" his or her burger. It was a bit gimmicky, but I suppose that it achieved the personalization that it set out to do. I took a relatively conservative route and got the creation pictured above: a 1/3 pound beef burger cooked medium served on a bed of lettuce blend with Tillamook cheddar, grilled onions, roasted chiles, sprouts, and tomatoes, all on a hamburger bun with horseradish mayo on the side.

I was a bit bummed to see this thing piled up so high when it came out. Moreover, it ended up being so greasy that I nearly felt nauseous after a while (the so-called onion strings that we got on the side were literally dripping in oil, albeit miraculously staying crispy all the same). I liked the quality of the ingredients as well as the concept here, but in execution I wished this thing were much leaner. Maybe I should have chosen my items a little better.

2 comments:

hujan_batu said...

You might want to try slightly healthier food at this cafe opposite National Library when you're back. But equally yummy -- the roast beef pasta sounds wrong but tastes great.

Anonymous said...

Healthy or not, this is a drool-inducing picture!