Saturday, September 22, 2007

Las Cuatro Milpas in Barrio Logan, SD

Clockwise from upper right: chorizo con huevo, roll taco, and menudo

Freed from the clutches of that corporate offsite, I was finally able to strike out on my own and head down here (1875 Logan Avenue, 619-234-4460), a place that was recommended a couple of times in the past. As luck would have it, they open early (6 AM) on Saturdays to serve menudo, so it was perfect timing for me to have another Mexican breakfast before heading to the airport.

I had never had menudo before, but everything that I had heard about it was that it was a dark red spicy bowl of offal, the thought of which just made me salivate. So I was a bit disappointed when I arrived to find that they made a clear version of it instead. Moreover, it was not spicy at all; it just tasted like boiled innards and hominy. I probably didn't dress it correctly with the onions, cilantro, lime, and oregano on the side, but I was hoping that it'd be a bit more spicy at least.

Well, the other items that I got went down quickly though, namely the chorizo con heuvo and the roll taco. Loaded with beans and bits of scrambled egg, the former was hearty and filling, even if I wish it were just a bit greasier. Probably more fun about coming down here was the neighborhood...I heard a number of comments ranging from it being a key historical part of San Diego to requiring a "bulletproof vest," but I knew that the latter had to have been overblown (and indeed, it was nothing to worry about). Just be sure to come here early since I understand that they tend to close up at around 2-3 PM.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad you finally got to try Las Quatro Milpas, but I'm sorry you were a bit disappointed. For me, the regular tacos, rolled tacos and tamales are their best dishes (along with their salsa). I'm not a menudo person, so I've never tried theirs. I'll also have to give them a try around breakfast time. I've always gone there for lunch.

Anonymous said...

I think what you were expecting was a bowl of pozole, not menudo. Pozole is basically menudo with a spicy red broth as opposed to the clear stuff. It is usually served with cabbage, radish, and onion. TRy looking for a place that has pozole next time.

Anonymous said...

Pozole and Menudo are two different soups. Both traditionally have Hominy, but Pozole is made with chunks of Pork meat while Menudo is made with tripe/stomach pieces cooked for a few hours at least so they are nice and tender. Menudo comes in a few different ways, white or clear, and with chiles made by soaking dryed chiles like Poblanos in hot water, then blending and straining and pouring into the soup. Pozole can also be made a variety of ways. both are great for hangover when spiced up!