Saturday, March 24, 2007

A Couple Quick Streetside Snacks in Vietnam

Bun Bo Hue

Here's just a couple quick snacks picked off the streets of Saigon. The first was bun bo hue, which was not quite the spicy red thing that I was expecting. This was simpler and lighter than pho, yet still took off after throwing in all of the garnishes and spices. I don't know if this was the real deal (technically this was Saigon rather than Hue), but I can only assume that this was still more authentic than that other one I had back in Singapore. Well, I liked it either way.

Bo Bia NgotNext up was bo bia ngot, a little handheld snack of coconut, sesame, and sugar cane or something wrapped up in a little tortilla-like thing like a tiny burrito. Surprisingly, this didn't have that much flavor in it (no, it wasn't very sweet) and was a bit of a bore as a result, albeit still refreshing.

No comments: