Friday, July 31, 2020

Morinaga Izakaya Restaurant At Midpoint Orchard, Singapore


Despite the many times I've been to Toku, somehow I completely missed their neighbors two doors down (I randomly came across them today when looking for Sign A Taste, which has sadly closed down). But I was happy as a clam to have found these guys (220 Orchard Road #B1-08, 9101-3016).

Maybe the reason why I missed them was because their sign said that they did "Japanese Economical Rice," presumably in reference to the lunch boxes that they do. But they're also an izakaya, and a small and cozy one at that. They're less booze-heavy than Toku, but the spirits are still plentiful and affordable.

I was happy. Those mildly sweet Hokkaido potatoes above were topped with a knob of butter and salty squid, while those crispy kibinago herring behind it were fun too. Being a one-man shop, the service wasn't fast, but it was warm and engaging. And the operating hours are more accessible than Toku.

No comments: