Monday, December 04, 2017

Poke from Tamura's Fine Wine & Liquors in Hawaii

Poke Bowl

One might not be able to tell by the name, but this local chain of liquor stores is apparently one of the better places for some local poke. I thus made my way to the back counter where they had an array of choices available, and the prices were delineated by the more expensive fresh fish versus the previously frozen ones (the latter was noticeably chewier).

After trying some samples, I went for a mix of the Fresh Ahi Island Hawaiian Style and the Fresh Ahi Island Shoyu, the former of which had a deliciously umami local seaweed mixed in. I also liked how they were just salty and spicy enough to be noticeable without overdominating it. Plus, the bowls were simple, with a choice of warm brown or white rice underneath rather than messing with any toppings on top. Nice one. Maybe next time I'll try some of the shellfish versions.

No comments: