Monday, May 29, 2017

Shi Yun Yansuji at Shida Night Market in Taipei

Shi Yun Yansuji

I needed more food after that bowl of oyster noodle, and was conveniently within walking distance of Shida Night Market, a place I had never been to before. So I went over to see if I could find any street snacks to nibble on. There were, with this shop in particular commanding a long line (14 Shida Road Lane 39, +886-2-2363-3999). It was a yansuji shop that claimed to have been around since 1984, so I figured that I'd give it a try.

It took a few seconds of watching other people before figuring out the procedure. One grabbed a plastic basket, picked out their items, and then got in the other line to pay. Only after getting in line did I notice that everyone picked out very few items...so little that it couldn't possibly be enough food for them. At that point it occurred to me that the items in your basket were only supposed to indicate selections, not quantity. After you paid, they added their standard serving sizes of each item, which meant that I picked way too much.

Anyway, it was good, especially since one of the items I got was some sinful chicken skin. They came out piping hot and crunchy without being overly battered nor oily. In retrospect, I should've asked them to make mine spicier, and maybe to back off a bit on the chopped garlic, which was unnecessarily excessive. But there was basil in there, which made it nice and aromatic. Thumbs up.

No comments: