Tuesday, February 07, 2017

Tokyo Chopped Salad Featuring Teppei Yamashita

Tokyo Chopped Salad Featuring Teppei Yamashita

I still needed more food, so I stopped by Teppei's new salad place across the way (9 Raffles Boulevard #01-102, 6817-5718). I wasn't quite sure what made it a Japanese salad, but it basically came down to things like mentai chicken, gyu tataki, soft shell crab, or - gasp - that heavily marinated kaisendon topping (maybe that's why poke shops have been propagating so quickly around here!). I went with a pork shabu shabu special, and I liked its quality ingredients and minimal dressing.

That is, after I found a utensil to eat it with. I looked in those green baskets on each table in search of a fork, but I found nothing but spoons inside. Did they run out of forks? How the heck is one supposed to eat a salad with a spoon?? Then I looked around and saw everybody eating salad with a spoon. And then it dawned on me that that's why they made a big deal about chopping the salad: so that you can eat salad with a spoon. Well, I guess it makes it easy to eat quickly.

No comments: