Thursday, February 02, 2017

Saigon Rolls at Marina Bay Link Mall, Singapore



A gỏi cuốn place has opened at Marina Bay Link Mall (8A Marina Boulevard #B2-01). They offered a choice of rather non-traditional fillings, like mushroom, avocado, and smoked salmon (that's a tofu one above). But they were also rolling them fresh and placing them in a glass case like brightly-colored doughnuts, so I figured that I'd give it a try.

I should've looked more closely in the glass case. These things were huge: almost like the size of a frozen burrito, and they weren't very tightly wrapped either, thus falling apart when I bit into mine. I also got a bánh mì, but only realized afterwards that they put lettuce in there (ugh!). And definitely no fresh Vietnamese chili slices either. Sigh.

Still, I have to admit that I didn't mind some of the ingredients that they used. That chicken was pretty tender and with a fragrant lemongrass aroma. The bread was lighter and crunchier than I was expecting, and that green Vietnamese pesto sauce (whatever that is) was rather tasty. If I come back maybe I'll just get a box of three rolls since that seemed to be the fastest.

No comments: