Sunday, January 24, 2016

My First Taste of Shaanxi Paomo

Youpo Lazi Mian

Actually, that's not paomo above, but instead some kind of peculiarly-named "Waistband Noodle" that initially drew us to this stall at People's Park Complex Food Centre (32 New Market Road #01-1061). I'm not sure why they called it that, but each bowl was finished with bubbling hot oil poured over it. It was also much more sour than I thought it would be, but nonetheless still decently tasty, even if there was some chopped raw garlic in there.

Yang Rou Pao Mo

While waiting for them to cook my food though, I noticed that some folks were ordering something called paomo, and when I looked it up, it was a dish from Shaanxi where flat bread is torn into small pieces and cooked in a lamb broth. I thus tried one afterwards, and the good thing is that it was deliciously savory and earthy. Still, it was very difficult to eat quickly given not just the scalding hot soup, but also the fact that there were tons of bone fragments in there. So as much as I liked the taste, I'm not going to order it again.

No comments: