Monday, October 05, 2015

Burosu Honten at Emporium Shokuhin, Singapore

Prawn Ramen

I finally came down to this new Japanese supermarket-thingy at Marina Square today (6 Raffles Boulevard #01-18, 6224-3433). I wasn't in any rush, actually; what I read about this place didn't sound very interesting. But I had a minute to stop by today, so I headed straight for Burosu Honten and got this prawn ramen with a set of gyoza. The good thing is that it was better than I thought it would be, with firm noodles and fresh shrimp that even had their bodies peeled for convenience, all while still retaining the head. But the broth wasn't anything like Keisuke's former masterpiece, so I'm not coming back for this.

Alaskan King Crabs

I went to go check out the surrounding market afterwards, where they had a couple rows of open tanks, reminiscent of the Taipei Fish Market. One huge difference though was that these tanks were hardly filled. Some of them were empty, and some just kept repeating three Alaskan king crabs. I'm not sure who comes to Marina Square to go grocery shopping, but I can't help but wonder if this might struggle a bit like PasarBella did at first, perhaps with most of the seafood just being window dressing. None of the other restaurants really looked too exciting either aside from a raw bar (in the Western sense), but I don't think I want to pay those kinds of prices either.

No comments: