Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Oshio Ramen from Menya Sanji

Oshio Ramen

I noticed a big sign for this last night. At a quick glance, it didn't actually sound that good. After all, the second line of the sign had big red letters in caps saying "NO PORK, NO LARD." It then proceeded to discuss where it would get its flavor from, including chicken bones, niboshi, hotate, bonito oil, and several kinds of salt. But the thing that ultimately made me flip around 180 degrees was the mention of yuzu kosho. I thus came to Menya Sanji for lunch today to give it a try.

Well, the broth was pretty boring. Yes, it had smoky seafood undertones, which normally would be a good thing, but somehow this just wasn't exciting (Keisuke did a much better job of a crisp and clean shio broth). The only thing that got me excited was when I got to the sliced chicken...or more importantly, the yuzu kosho that I could pair it with. But after that, the bowl got boring again. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it, but I doubt I'll come back to get this.

No comments: