Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sights from Sprouts Farmers Market

Brussels Sprout Stalks

I'd never heard of Sprouts until the other day; apparently they started up after I moved to Asia many years ago. Anyway, I finally stepped into one today. It was kinda like a cross between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's; not quite as upscale as the former, and yet not as reliant on house brands like the latter. Fittingly, here were some Brussels sprout stalks from Sprouts.

Tomatoes

Trader Joe's had them too, although I never tasted either of them, so I don't know how they compared against each other. But based on appearances at least, produce from Sprouts certainly looked much more appealing, like these nice red tomatoes above. The ones that I saw at Trader Joe's the other day were shockingly devoid of color.

Trader Joe's Olive Oil

Actually, this last photo was from Trader Joe's rather than Sprouts. I recall really liking Trader Joe's olive oil last time, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong with some of the other varieties that they had. I thus picked a Sicilian one from the bottom right corner, which tasted fine, but still wasn't peppery enough for me. I should have stuck to the Californian version.

No comments: