Saturday, February 15, 2014

Nong Khai Beer House at Golden Mile

Pig Skin Salad

In all of the years that I've been in Singapore, I had heard about all of the Thai food available at the Golden Mile Complex, but I had never been. Tonight, we happened to be nearby, and figured that we'd go see what all of the fuss was about. There were a couple of very large shops inside, but I heard a lot of English and Chinese being spoken there.

I thus went to the other end of the hall to try to see if I could overhear some Thai instead, and surely enough, this place (5001 Beach Road #01-73/74) had a group of working girls seated, presumably getting ready to start their shift upstairs soon. When we found that the waitress could hardly speak English (and a tray of raw and unfamiliar veggies came out), I knew that we had chosen the right spot.

And yes, it was good. We told them to make it spicy, and everything ended up providing a nice burn, including not just that pig skin salad above, but also a papaya salad and even the tom yum soup which had a heavy shot of red chili oil on top. We actually ended up ordering a bit too much food as a result, but were happy to have eaten here. I wonder if some of those smaller counter-style shops in this building are any good.

No comments: