Saturday, November 23, 2013

DIO Burger at the Grandstand

Bacon Cheddar Burger

I'm not sure if these guys intentionally chose this "Do It Ourselves" name in order to contrast themselves from their Omakase Burger competitors two doors down (200 Turf Club Road #01-09, 6468-9308). But the name did get me hopeful that maybe it was a bit like the Counter from back home where I could pick and choose from a long list of ingredients to suit my taste.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. Sure, they let you choose the bread and protein, but after that, the menu launched into a few pre-configured options with nary a mention of what the price was if you only wanted the bare minimum meat and bun. The condiment bar that I was hoping to use to dress my burger wasn't very inspiring either (canned pineapple - ugh!!), so ultimately I went with this bacon and cheddar variety...and unfortunately neither the bacon nor cheddar were very tasty.

Well, there was one thing about this DIO name that was very true: it tasted just like a burger that I might have made myself at a backyard BBQ, and that's not a good thing. I think I've been spoiled by places like Slater's 50/50, Shake Shack, and Umami Burger. Those have all set the bar so darned high that I just end up getting disappointed everywhere else.

No comments: