Sunday, February 17, 2013

Omakase Burger at the Grandstand

Omakase Cheeseburger

Man, that was not worth the wait (220 Turf Club Road #01-05, 6763-2698). Granted, Sunday afternoons are probably one of their busiest hours, but it was already after 2 PM. After standing in line for maybe 10-15 minutes, I had to wait another 30 minutes after that before getting my food (compared to the ten minute wait that they said orders require). Even fine dining places serve food faster than that. Apparently there was a big order ahead of me, and I was getting hungry and cranky.

When I finally got it, it was puny...maybe just a little bigger than the size of the basic cheeseburger at McDonald's, except that this was a whopping S$13.90 (US$11.20). More importantly, it wasn't anything that special. OK, I liked the pillowy yellow bun a lot, and the cheese was pretty tasty too. But that was also part of the problem: the cheese was so rich that I could hardly taste the beef itself. That, and I think the West Coaster in me missed having this thing loaded up with fresh raw veggies.

Anyway, contrary to how the name might sound, this was not Japanese, nor was it like Umami Burger from back home either. It was American, but their philosophy was "let the chef decide" (and yet, there were four standard variations of their burgers on the menu). Strangely, they were touting Mexican Coke today too. But Coke in Singapore also uses sugar, not American fructose, so I'm really not sure what the point was.

1 comment:

brad m said...

that looks fantastic, great shot....