Saturday, October 05, 2013

Sapporo's Ginza Lion Beer Hall in Singapore

Roast Black Angus Beef 200g

I wasn't quite sure of what to expect from this place. It was supposed to be some very old German-style beer hall from Japan. So I figured that maybe it'd have some sausages and pretzels, perhaps complemented with some edamame and mentaiko pasta or something...a Japanese version of Tawandang, I figured. It ended up being much smaller than I was expecting, taking up only one of those little restaurants along the waterfront of Robertson Quay (8 Rodyk Street #01-01, 6634-9113).

They had sausages and pork knuckle on the menu. But the beer selection was very limited, and edamame was about the only Japanese thing that was on the menu, aside from maybe a wagyu burger, if that even counts. The menu didn't look very encouraging, but I went with this roast beef since it was a signature item. And when it came out, I was surprised by how much I liked it, even if it had a strangely sweet tinge to it. I'm not sure how dependable the rest of the menu is though.

In case you're wondering, yes, that is wasabi on the plate, so I guess there is a bit more Japanese influence than the menu was led to believe. Incidentally, that is grated wasabi that you see on the plate, not the powdered stuff, which is ironic, seeing how the powdered stuff is made from horseradish, and horseradish is exactly what one would normally use to complement roast beef. And yet instead, here they used real wasabi.

No comments: