Friday, August 09, 2013

O My Dog at Great World City

Bak Chor Mee Dog

On paper, this place should be right up my alley: gourmet hot dogs served out of a faux-food truck right in front of a movie theater (1 Kim Seng Promenade #03-31, 6235-0644). But when they first opened a few years ago, I wasn't impressed, and frankly never went back. Yet tonight we saw a sign downstairs that boasted of a new menu, including a bak chor mee dog. Seeing how bak chor mee is basically my favorite local dish of all time, I had to try this thing. Maybe they had finally gotten better.

Unfortunately, I still didn't like it. There really wasn't much about it that tasted like bak chor mee. Sure, the original noodle dish depends on Chinese vinegar, but this was rendered as a sour topping that just didn't come together with the sausage underneath. The other ingredients that I uniquely associate most with bak chor mee, crackling and dried fish (at least, in the case of Tai Wah), weren't there either. Oh well. Maybe the other dogs on the menu are better, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to try them anymore.

No comments: