Monday, February 11, 2013

Teochew Pig Foot Jelly for CNY

Pig Trotter Jelly

I wasn't exactly a huge fan of this when I first tried it earlier in the day. When asked how it tasted, I responded, "It tastes like meat-flavored jelly," which isn't exactly the most ringing of endorsements. It generally was rather tasteless and of course strange in consistency too...basically, it was headcheese (or was it footcheese?).

And yet, somehow this stuff kept growing on me through out the day, so much that I gobbled up multiple other portions worth before sundown. Some of it was simply because of the cilantro and scallion garnish. Some of it was because of that sour hot sauce that one usually gets with local beef noodles around here. And some of it was because it went down surprisingly well with some cognac that seemed to keep coming in unlimited quantities over the past few days.

Either way, I'm not sure if this Teochew aspic is necessarily anything that I'll go out of my way for, but I have to admit that I had a lot of fun with this ter ka dang stuff today. Maybe once a year, this stuff will be something to look forward to, but any more than that, and I'm not sure how excited I will be.

No comments: