Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Pita Pan at Marina Bay Sands

Half Pocket Sandwich on Za'atar Pita

I was over at Marina Bay Sands for a meeting this morning and needed a quick lunch before rushing back to the office. At first, I was hoping that maybe Daniel Boulud had some kind of an express lunch set or something, but then it dawned on me that I hadn't been to Pita Pan yet, and it'd sure be a heck of a lot cheaper and faster (2 Bayfront Ave #01-87, 6688-7450).

Now, I never really liked falafels in the past, mainly due to some really bad renditions from back in school that were dry and tasteless. So today's half pocket sandwich was like night and day, as these the falafels inside were crispy on the outside and moist in the middle, making them a delight to eat, especially when one could dress the pita with an impressive spread of veggies and sauces.

It was only afterwards did I realize why this place was so good; it's actually run by an Israeli celebrity chef. I'll easily come back here again, but admittedly more for the falafel rather than the shakshuka that I got afterwards; the menemen-like thing was tasty, but the sizzling pan made it too difficult to eat quickly, especially in the searing heat of this open air venue.

No comments: