Sunday, October 07, 2012

Saigon's Wrap & Roll in Singapore

Đặc sản cuốn Huế

Vietnam's Wrap & Roll chain has opened an outlet at the new open-air Star Vista mall (1 Vista Exchange Green #B1-11, 6694-1111). As the name suggests, they specialize in rolls, which has always been a favorite of mine and hence something that I was looking forward to.

Unfortunately, most of what we had was a letdown, particularly the bánh cuốn, which were depressingly anemic. A plate of stir-fried noodles that we had were just boring and clumpy. The requisite gỏi cuốn were at least respectably assembled, but the taste was unremarkable and forgettable too.

OK, there was one thing that I did actually say "Mmm..." to: the grilled pork rolls on the right hand side of the photo above, as they carried a nice char-grilled pork aroma. And based on that alone, I'd be willing to come back to try the bún chả that I noticed on the menu. But if that doesn't work out, then I don't know if I'd be coming here much after that.

Note to self: the Menya Musashi outlet here is still offering that curry ramen that I missed last time, so be sure to come here quickly before they yank it from their menu too.

No comments: