Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bún Chả on Mai Hắc Đế in Hanoi

Bún Chả and Nem Cua Bể

Ever since I saw that old school Bourdain episode when that shopkeeper was grilling pork out of an old automobile wheel on the streets of Hanoi, I've been fixated with the idea of coming to this city to get some bún chả. This street in particular is apparently one of two areas in the city that is known for this stuff, and this shop's (47C Mai Hắc Đế, 3978-2757) version was as good as I had imagined it to be.

The thin cuts of tasty flame-grilled pork were of course a big part of that, but it wasn't complete without the rest of the ensemble, be it the fresh herbs, cold dipping sauce, or spring rolls that accompanied it. The only thing to keep in mind is that it is mainly a lunch thing, so I'll need to remember that, lest we forget and try to get it for dinner or a late night snack.

Afterthought: Now that I look at it, it looks like I have had this stuff down south before - and liked it just as much. But this is supposed to be something that is really from the northern part of the country.

No comments: