Sunday, June 24, 2012

Hawaiian Kitchen Aloha Ma Maison

Tuna and Avocado Loco Moco

It looks like the Ma Maison folks have opened up a Hawaiian offshoot over at the newly renovated - and renamed - Bugis+ mall (201 Victoria Street #01-12, 6884-4471). I haven't been to Hawaii in more than ten years, and even when I was there, I don't think I ever had loco moco, as it never really sounded that appealing to me. But these guys specialized in it; I guess it really isn't too far of a stretch from their hanbagu after all. I grabbed this raw tuna and avocado version in hopes of a slightly healthier take.

To my surprise, I liked it - a lot. I suppose that one could argue that it isn't much different from a negitoro don, but the tuna, avocado, mayo, and sauce all went together perfectly with the brown rice, making this thing go down my throat with ease. They didn't have Spam musubi nor other things that I think of when I think of Hawaii (bizarrely, the other specialty of theirs was pancakes), but I won't complain if I have to come here again.

2 comments:

TravelWorldOnline said...

I haven't been to Hawaii yet, but it is on my priority list. Thus I have bookmarked this for my first visit.

Singapore said...

Hi,
I have a sushi place to recommend. It's called Mei Sushi at International Plaza in Tanjong Pagar. Discovered it one night after work and it's not my favorite sushi place in Singapore. Chef is a quirky character and is very proud that he sources his fish from kyushu. Very fresh and well made.