Friday, September 09, 2011

The Whole Bowl, Portland, Oregon

The Whole Bowl

We finally made it to some of Portland's famous food carts for lunch today, in particular the cluster at SW 9th and Alder. I had my sights set on a place called the Whole Bowl, which sells something that is seemingly just rice and beans with some toppings like cheese, avocado, and cilantro.

But the thing that brought it all together is something called Tali sauce, which is some kind of lemon and garlic blend underneath that not only made this thing disappear into my stomach in seconds, but also gave this cart the longest lunchtime line out of any other cart in the area (and no, it's not the brown stuff you see in the center of the photo; that was a chipotle sauce that I added on the side).

I'll happily wait in line for that one again. It was healthy, cheap, and delicious, and was exactly the kind of thing I figured I would be able to find up here. As a side note, one cart called the Dump Truck featured some cheeseburger-flavored jiaozi that sounded interesting to try next time.

No comments: