Thursday, May 05, 2011

Lou Malnati's Pizzeria, Chicago

The Malnati Chicago Classic

I've always found it a bit difficult to like Chicago-style pizza. Pretty much every rendition that I came across in the past was loaded up with too much boring dough, which just didn't appeal to me. But after coming to Lou Malnati's tonight, I finally understand why people like this stuff so much.

I don't know if it is unique to this shop (they've trademarked "their famous Buttercrust"), but I'd hardly call the pizza crust here "dough" or "bread." It was so rich and crumbly that it was more like the crust you'd find keeping an apple pie together (or possibly even the lardy crust in a Cantonese egg tart), and it was so delicious that it was worth the 30 minute wait. The sausage, cheese, and sauce were really just incidental.

OK so now I get it. While it's the toppings that appeal to me when it comes to New York pizzas (and arguably even proper Italian ones), for Chicago, it's all about the crust. And I guess that's why Mario Batali's Mozza is so awesome as it does a kicka$$ job of both. Just don't get any of that run-of-the-mill cheap delivery stuff that is so common across the rest of the US.

No comments: