Thursday, November 11, 2010

Kazokutei, Tokyo Walker, Plaza Singapura

Curry Udon

It looks like the folks behind Manpuku have started another little cluster of Japanese food outlets, this time carrying a rather awkward name: Tokyo Walker (68 Orchard Road #04-01, 6333-9285). We went past the ramen and chanpon shops and ended up at the one in the back, which specialized in handmade udon...and in a variety of styles too. It seemed promising.

The curry smelled and tasted nice at first, but it was still a far cry from Wakashachiya. More importantly, the noodles were too soft and frankly a bit of a yawner, as was some of the fried stuff that we got on the side too. It was only later that I realized that these guys were related to Toku Toku, another shop that I have never really been sold on. I still wish Rakugamo would come down here; in the meantime, I guess I'll keep going back to Huhu instead.

2 comments:

red fir said...

There's a udon stall Tsuru Tsuru Tei at the basement of Liang Court. These guys are by the Tampopo Group. Give it a try. The udon is awesome.

Bhonpu said...

Hey, I just came across your blog.. (was googling "The Salad Shop")

Am quite glad I stumbled across it because what I have read so far (in the past twenty minutes) has been a very nice, clean, unpretentious review of food (not necessarily food places or a general overview of whole menus, which seems to be the norm)

Appreciate it, and been trying to experiment with food myself since I moved here..

Good tips and maybe I'll leave a comment or two more when I've tried as many things as you have.. :)

Cheers,
Shiv.