Thursday, September 24, 2009

More from Showdogs, San Francisco

Pickled Louisiana Hot Link with Onion Rings

Yep - I liked this place so much that I went back again for a second day. I got a pickled hot link this time, which sounded rather odd at first. But the proprietor told me that the mildly sour flavor enhanced the taste of the sausage, and when I finally got it, he was right...the sour and spicy tastes were mouth-wateringly perfect. Yum.

I made the right move of switching to onion rings too. I barely even dented the fries yesterday, but I cleared the onion rings in seconds. Why? Most onion rings have too much bread on them in my opinion...but these were more onion than batter, and whatever batter was on them was so impressively light and crispy that they were a pleasure to eat.

To wash this all down, I got a small glass of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar, which was a brown ale whose hazelnut flavor was surprisingly welcome. But I didn't care that much for the Prohibition Ale as it was a bit hoppy. Either way, I found my magical combination of what to order here. This was easily one of the best meals that I've had in a very long time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, this looks drool-worthy. Its amazing how much travel you do and the variety of food you eat. really interesting to follow your blog!
a fellow singaporean,
j

Anonymous said...

Found this blog. Just moved to Singapore and writing an Excel spreadsheet of all the food I want to try and where to go (using Makansutra and internet). Doing the same for Penang and Chiang Mai.

I love this picture - looks amazing!!

You should write a small guide and sell it.