Thursday, December 04, 2008

Mercat de la Boqueria, Barcelona

Fruit for Sale

With (nearly) all of my work done for the week, I shifted into vacation mode this afternoon to engage in one of my favorite pastimes: checking out local markets. One of the biggest ones in Barcelona, La Boqueria, was filled with the usual seafood, produce, and butcher sections that one would expect of an open market like this. But it also had a number of uniquely local items, including plenty of ham dangling around as well as little tapas stands for you to pick out little snacks from and pair with a drink.

Seafood for Sale

I picked up a few tidbits, including some kind of mushroom crepe as well as some potato and onion filled omelette topped with cheese and chili peppers. These lukewarm things were fine, although not as mindblowing as I would have hoped for. Well, no worries. There will be plenty of time to get tapas on this trip so I'm sure that there will be better stuff to come.

No comments: