Friday, July 11, 2008

Erik’s DeliCafé, Northern California

Abbott's Habit

This local shop across the South Bay used to be one of my favorite sandwich shops around, largely because of a single ingredient that instantly distinguished their goods from their competitors: alfafa sprouts. I didn't capture them very well in the photo, but the taste of the sprouts stood out so much that childhood memories came rushing back to me with my first bite of this roast beef and mushroom-based sandwich today.

Of course, there is more to it than just the alfalfa. They have a so-called "secret goo" as well as sliced red onions that further justify their claim of "sandwiches with character." But I just can't imagine a sandwich at Erik's without alfalfa. In fact, I recall walking away from Erik's when there was an alfalfa scare a good number of years ago, upon which they naturally stopped including the stuff in their food. Thankfully, it's back now, and made all of the difference. Delicious.

No comments: