Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Idiyappam and Ragi Dosa at Chella's

Idiyappam

This is a Keralan idiyappam, or "stringhopper," which I got on the a advice of an old colleague of mine. This thin vermicelli pancake-like thing usually comes with a variety of dips. Here at Chella's in Little India, they provided not only a basic curry but also this sweet orange powder to go with these steaming hot patties, allowing it to double as both a starter and dessert for me.

Ragi DosaI also got a ragi dosa, which is a dosa but made with some special grainy brown flour that is supposed to be rather healthy. Indeed, after I placed my order, the proprietor grumbled, "healthy!" But the ghee-based option did force one to question that assertation a bit.

5 comments:

ClearTear said...

the orangy-red thingy is tinted sugar i think..yummy.. usually i only eat with that. It doesnt seems tat nice with curry.

Anonymous said...

Idyappam goes the best with a mixture of coconut and sugar. But it still tastes amazing with potato stew:)

Anonymous said...

went to OHSUMI at Cuppage Plaza for Shabu Shabu yesterday and bumped into several guys with Californian accent,and somehow I thought you'd be one of them...then I asked and their responses negated my idea...should have browsed your blog first before heading there...

Anonymous said...

I grew up eating idiappam with fresh grated coconut & crushed palm sugar - that was in the 1960s. Then, a Sri Lankan friend introduced me to eating it with curries, and I've been hooked ever since!

Anonymous said...

There's a really good stall at the Ghim Moh market, if you are near the Holland Road area, you could pop by. It's walking distance if you take short cuts.

Ananda Bhavan has a branch facing the main road along Little India. I was told that on weekends, they serve Apom. (Hope I got the spelling right). They are these pancake shaped snacks which look like crepes at the same time. They are made at the counter nearest the door.