Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Chella's Vegetarian Corner, Serangoon Road

Cheese Pav Baji

Wow - I'm really having trouble breaking free of this Indian food streak; I just can't stop thinking of chaat. Well, to satiate the cravings today, I told the cab driver to take me to Little India and stop randomly, where I figured that I would just walk into one of the first places that I saw. That strategy brought me here (70 Serangoon Road, 6297-6297), another surprisingly well-lit fast-food type of place, but with a more dedicated dining area upstairs.

They had a number of interesting items on the menu, ranging from the so-called "Special Jain Pav Baji" (what is that?) and even a Hershey's Chocolate Dosa. But the thing that caught my eye was the Cheese Pav Baji, which was basically pav baji but with some shredded cheese on top. With its light fluffy bread and spicy aroma, this thing went down in the blink of an eye.

Pani PuriAnd yes, I know I overdo it on the pani puri, but I just love this stuff, and this one fared fine too. I'd definitely like to come back and try more. Interestingly, they even had some kind of sizzling platters here. It didn't seem very Indian to me, but it sure smelled good.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had a quick look through your top 10 list. It'd be interesting to see a similar list for drinking spots

Sung Sook said...

Those look disturbingly close to Wonderbread hamburger buns...

Anonymous said...

Jain food is a stricter form of veg food. Jains generally don't eat anything under grown under the soil. So the pav bhaji might not contain onions and garlic.