Thursday, October 04, 2007

Astons Specialties, East Coast Road

Porterhouse Steak

This place has been generating so much buzz over the past year or so that apparently huge lines form here regularly (119 East Coast Road, 6247-7857). I happened to be in the neighborhood tonight, so I figured that I'd stop by to see what all the hubbub was about. Fortunately there was no line when I arrived, so I got seated immediately after placing my order for a porterhouse steak at S$29.90 (US$19.90).

Frankly, I wasn't expecting much. I figured that it was a lot of overblown hype, and that the food really would only be fair. So I was a bit surprised when I took a bite from the smaller tenderloin side of the T-bone to find it very tender and generally pretty tasty on its own merits. That part went down in a jiffy.

Unfortunately, the bigger strip loin side was a bit tough. I might have been able to live with that, but then I got to the corn on the cob, which was so lifeless that it seemed as if it had been sitting around in boiling water or something for quite a while. In the end, this place reminded me of some downscale chains back home like Sizzler (I've never been to Sizzler in Singapore, BTW, so I don't know if it's the same here or not). Or maybe it's more like a local hawker serving "Western food," but in a nicer restaurant setting.

Well, maybe I ordered the wrong thing. The roast beef on the menu sure looked interesting, but that was running at a whopping S$60 (US$40) or so, and the waitress couldn't explain why it was so expensive. Maybe it's the burgers here that are better. I can see why people would like this place, but it's not for me, especially if I had to wait in line. Besides, they don't take American Express, which is a pet peeve for mileage whores like myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm, i had a pretty stringey ribeye the last time i was there. i think the price is the main factor drawing the crowds. there's better quality meat to be had elsewhere. but i think it's definitely not someplace to go out of your way for.

Anonymous said...

you gotta the chicken dishes with coleslaw and mash/chips/pasta salad. those are cheap and really good. as for steak, i'm sure you can get better elsewhere for the price you paid. Great meals for less than 10 dollars if you know the right dishes to pick! =)

Anonymous said...

p.'s right, the low prices are probably what's drawing the crowds.
i found the prime ribeye slightly tough , but the black pepper steak was more tender. the ribs aren't much to shout about, because the meat doesn't slip off the bones easily enough. the superburger is pretty average as well, slightly dry.
there's an aston's prime along joo chiat road, an apparently more expensive version with a wider menu. not sure if the food's any better though.