Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Chicken Rice Shop, Singapore

Chicken Combi with Steamed and TCRS Honey BBQ varieties...and a glass of 'plain water' listed on the menu for ten cents

I'd been to an outlet of this big Malaysian chicken chain in KL a long time ago, but didn't really seem to remember too much about it. So I came on down to VivoCity today for a quick bite at their Singaporean outlet (1 Harbourfront Walk #B2-37, 6376-9388), right across from Superdog. They had all sorts of different kinds of chicken rice available ranging from roasted to braised, so fortunately they had a "Chicken Combi" that allowed me to get two different types. I went for the traditional steamed version as my control group together with what appeared to be their signature Honey BBQ variety.

It pretty much turned out as I expected. The steamed chicken was tender and the Honey BBQ version was a bit sweet, but fortunately not so annoying that I wouldn't eat it (same goes for the hot sauce). The rice was surprisingly oily, but in a good way as it was decently tasty. But would I necessarily come running back? Probably not. There's certainly much better out there (read: not as sweet) at a local hawker. Then again, all this is really meant to be is a fast food place (complete with "plain water" listed on the menu and chargeable at S$0.10, or six American pennies). Apparently they are quite proud of their kueh pie tee starters here too, but I just went straight in for the chicken rice.

1 comment:

mkia said...

I always try to come here with an empty stomach cos' I tend to head for their set meals. It's quite a bargain considering a set for 4pax (less that $40) has 6 dishes and a jug of soft drink thrown in. I guess that's what makes the difference from this joint and the hawker stalls outside. Otherwise, they won't be able to survive the competition.