Friday, September 22, 2006

Filiberto's, University Avenue, SD

Taco and Tostada Combination Plate

Another night in the Gaslamp Quarter meant another late night of post-drinking cravings for some greasy-a$$ Mexican food to satiate the belly. This time I made the effort to go out to El Cajon Boulevard, where I thought there was a Roberto's as well as Alberto's. You can imagine my disappointment when I arrived to find them both closed (it was only 2 AM - I thought that one of the hallmarks of the X-berto's genre was being open 24 hours??). Fortunately, around the corner (3446 University Ave, 619-640-0385) was one I hadn't heard of before: Filiberto's, which apparently has a number of locations across the San Diego area and even Arizona (they also proudly displayed the fact that they were open 24 hours). In true X-berto's fashion, this place was a drive-through only, and offered all sorts of cheap, fast grub. I went for my usual tostada and taco combination just to get the beans, cheese, and greasy hard shell taste that I was seeking.

Making BurritosUnfortunately, this only delivered on the first two fronts: the beans and cheese. The hard shell was not greasy at all, and actually all became a bit tough and to some degree bland. The hot sauce rescued this a bit, but it still wasn't enough. At least I had some horchata to wash this down, but this was a bit of a buzzkill in the end, especially given the extra effort I had to make in hunting this place down.

No comments: